[Gpdd] [HEALTH] ITCHING PIGGIES

Sarah secorneli at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 17 21:36:45 EDT 2010

I need help!

I noticed my four piggies scratching and just not acting like their
happy-go-lucky selves.  Upon closer inspection I saw tiny white bugs moving in
their fur.   I got a couple with my fingernails and placed them on a white paper
and they were wriggling.  On one piggie I also saw a small bald patch on it's
back.  I researched and think they might be running lice.  Maybe mange mites as
well? (god forbid).

The shelter I got them from said they were treated with parasite medication
Revolution before I adopted them.    So I assumed they were clean.

I've had my herd only two months.   I don't know where the lice came from -
they've not been in contact with others.  I have had some friends over who own
guinea pigs, but the pigs have not been over to visit.  I've read conflicting
reports that they can come in on the hay/bedding/pellets - is this true?  Can
eggs/lice travel on clothing, shoes, etc.  How long does it take for eggs to
hatch ??  Do running lice suck blood?

I ordered some Lice n Easy from Gorgeous Guineas - has anyone tried it and do
you think it is effective on lice?  I've heard lots of good things about it.

Would a visit to the vet be in order to make sure this isn't mange mites?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.