[Gpdd] HEALTH Itching Piggies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Sep 19 07:34:21 EDT 2010

Hello Sarah,

Poor little itchy piggies. There is a wealth of useful information on GuineaLynx. Here is the link to parasites to save me a lot of typing.

http://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html  Follow their links too.

I have never used Revolution but would imagine that, like other treatments, a further dose or two would be needed to kill off the new bugs that will have hatched after the inital dose. These eggs are sticky and are easily transported from one piggy to another or can stick to clothing.

At my little piggy rescue, all newcomers are treated for parasites as a matter of course because you never know what they are bringing in with them. They are also quarantined before being introduced to the herd.

I use Ivermectin for mites. I can buy this from my Rodentologists and it comes in a little dropper bottle. Two drops orally for an adult pig and one drop for a little one over 3 months of age.

After the first dose a second can be given after 14 days and maybe a third will be necessary after a further two weeks.

If you suspect mites, immediate treatment is needed. You may need the vet for this.

I have not used Lice n Easy but have found other Gorgeous Guinea products to be very good. I use VetSect Repel Shampoo from Millpledge to kill off any external parasites. Again, this comes from my Rodentologist as a whole boxful has to be purchased from the company.

I treat all of my herd preventatively every three months with a single dose of Ivermectin. Those mites are so dangerous to our little ones.

Good luck with the treatment. Let us know how you get on.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.