[Gpdd] HEALTH- ITCHING PIGGIES

Sarah secorneli at yahoo.ca
Sun Sep 19 20:51:37 EDT 2010

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.

I did take them to the vet and it's definitely lice.  The vet prescribed
Revolution (one drop behind each ear in the bald spot) and in another 30 days
drops behind the ears again.  I also ordered Lice n Easy shampoo from Gorgeous
Guineas.  The vet said to wait at least 24 hours after Revolution before
 bathing the piggies.  The shampoo will not only help kill the lice, but sooth
their irritated skin.   He took a sample and looked at them under the
microscope.  He said the lice are species specific so we shouldn't get hassled
by them.

The vet said that they probably had eggs on them when they left the shelter.
 Even though they were previously treated with Revolution the drug doesn't kill
the eggs.  Then the eggs hatched and those lice bred and now two months later
show up as a noticeable infestation.   The bare spot on the back wasn't mites;
the vet said it looked like a scar or a burn mark :0 !!!  I guess one never
knows the real story of a pig when they come in from a shelter, but it's very
disturbing to think what must have happened to her.

So I'll be treating four piggies - ahhhh such an adventure!  It's frustrating
when you are doing your best to take care of the babies and keep them healthy,
then something like this shows up.  But it makes me love them even more.
 Take care,

Sarah