[Gpdd] GPDD (Misc.) (Gardening and some other things)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 02:14:17 EDT 2010

Thank you, Penny, for the information about hay, gardening, watering potted
plants etc.

 It makes sense that a pile of moist cut grass would 'start' to become a
compost pile and 'start' to ferment in the middle and become warm, whereas a
pile of cut grass for hay would be dried in the methodical way that is done
to make dry hay with no moisture and no composting.

 I used to handpick grasses in the past before, but it was just wild weedy
grass growing in the small "open space" next to the stairway of the parking
lot where I work, and sometimes from an open field in another part of the
island.  The regular vet had once told me, for my rabbit at the time, that
fresh picked, unsprayed grass is good for them; so I went by what he
suggested.
I would always wash the grass with water and dish soap in a clean sink, and
rinse well. The tap water here is not the best so it would have to be
filtered. I have used the tap before in the past but now am reluctant, so
that is always a factor when it comes to washing greens for the piggies.
Right now I have a PUR filter on my sink tap but the thing leaks for some
reason, well I suppose it needs a new couplet because the other
(plastic) one broke when I was changing the filter, although I did use some
pipe thread to secure it--it still needs the right size couplet to the
faucet and I am not too enthused about taking it to the hardware store to
get another one.  We are supposed to be moving pretty soon; just waiting for
the bank to send the deed to the escrow company, so it will not be for at
least two more months because of repairs at both places that need to be
completed.
There were a few times that I handpicked grass at the beach that seemed very
fresh, washed it all, and hand-dried it and then stored it in the fridge for
a couple days.  If it looked like it was wilting I tossed it, but the
piggies ate most of it anyway (i only had three piggies at the time.)
Thanks again for the great information; this group gives better info about
gps than some vets, and even though we have never met, we are a special
group of souls that love guinea pigs, and that is cool.  I prefer using
timothy hay from Kleenmama's, which is really great hay, and the blue grass
hay as well, although it seems the precious piggies like timothy best.  the
third-cut tim hay is fairly soft and has some brown pieces but that's ok,
they eat the green ones and love to make tunnels in it, and it is really a
lot of hay because it is so soft, a 25 lb. box has more quantity
than second-cut.
As for watering my plants on the balcony, I did bring out the hose and
drenched them the other day, but when we move I will be probably giving the
big ones to some friends, as the new place has a narrow balcony.
Take good care everybody!
Ellen and precious piggies, bun and chin