[Gpdd] GPDD (Misc) (Diatomaceous Earth)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 03:45:55 EDT 2010

Has anyone ever heard of diatomaceous eartht o treat guinea pigs? I was just
looking online and it was suggested to someone for gps with lice.  It is a
fine dust that kills insects by cutting their waxy coverings and drying them
out, yet it is completely safe for mammals.  The only thing would be to not
inhale it, and to cover the face of te animal when applying it.  It is also
used in gardening. Just wondering if any of our old gpddr's ever used it for
anything.  I do not think I will use it unless I have more info.  I am
already a bit nervous about treating the piggies with ivermectin (orally,
the injectable type:  0.1%, 0.1 mL, once; then 7 to 14 days later, another
dose.)
Ellen