[Gpdd] Gpdd (Care) (Administering meds)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 22:34:23 EDT 2010

*Aloha *Ann and all the Gpdd Family!

Ann, thank you, I did give each pig an oral 0.1 mL dose of 1% ivomec which I
withdrew from the original bottle with a sterile needle into a small clean
pyrex cup.  I have several plastic 1.0 mL syringes so I used one for each
pig.  (I had disinfected the plastic syringes with bleach and water first as
they are used more than once.)  It was pretty easy to do.  The hard part was
washing all the cages.  I will forward the email to you that I sent to Penny
about that.  Basically it's just washing everything well.

I do understand and greatly appreciate your precision in giving the correct
amount of meds especially ivermectin.  Our exotics vet would not give us
that in the past, instead they gave us Revolution, but Revolution does not
kill internal parasites in cavies.  I think they were afraid of an
overdose.  In the US there is way too much nonsensical litigation, in my
opinion, and makes people dysfunctional!

I will continue to follow your directions and let you know if I have any
more questions! Math was not my best subject, in fact I will follow up with
where I left off with decimals and fractions, if I ever take any more
college classes.

Several months ago when my piggie Cheyenie was still with us, she tested
positive for giardia, so the vet gave her panacur. I do recall using the
dosage similar to what you describe, and I have familiarized myself with
most of this and now it is getting easier.  I have only had pet guinea pigs
for 6 years, and never had wormed my first three, although it would have
helped.  The vet's office had pre-measured Panacur (fenbendazole) into
plastic 1 mL syringes.  I think it was the same dose you said to use (0.4 mL
once daily X 5 days).
I am going to order Panacur in a moment. when I got home last night after
all the dosing, cleaning, etc. etc. I had to sleep!
Lots of good wishes to you!
Ellen and precious piggies