[Gpdd] GPDD (Silly) (Boars playing)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 01:26:44 EDT 2010

I have 4 boars, all in separate cages since the two brothers did not hit it
off too well even when they lived together with the 4 sows, their sisters
and mom.  Cocoa is the alpha male of the two, and Hina'u is less
aggressive. (I had actually come home one night from work and found Hina'u
outside of the pen, hiding in the closet, with a bite on his ear.  They had
not quite reached puberty at the time.)
So I did not really want to, but I really felt inclined to separate them
although they are used to being side-by-side, all 4 cages.
Well, I decided the other night to give them a paper towel roll.  I cut the
roll up as I do cucumbers, in fourths, then each mini roll in half, so there
are 8, and each pig gets a semi-mini roll.  I put one in each cage. Angel
was sleeping, but the other three boars, Kaloey, Hina'u and Cocoa, each took
the piece of brown cardboard (it was from a recycled paper towel roll, so it
must have been inviting) and, with each one of the three facing each other
in their cages (they can see each other), flipped the cardboard up and down
in their teeth, for it seemed like 5 minutes.  It was almost as though they
were saluting each other, in some secret-type piggie fashion.  It was too
funny. These guys are really smart, and they had a great time.  I have tried
putting hay inside cardboard rolls before but never did those get as much
attention as the semi cut piece.  I think they also liked the aroma, and may
even have liked them because they were recycled, which is good for the
environment (piggies know!)
~Ellen and precious piggies, bun and chin