[Gpdd] HEALTH- Mimi & Benadryl

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 02:29:04 EDT 2011

I looked through all the letters I have from Ann Evans and found her
recommendation for the skin condition resembling what you previously
described as Mimi's condition. She wanted you to use this as well as the
Griseofulvin, but it should work alone as well.
That is to apply 2% Miconizole cream to the area. This is a potent anti
fungal used for athletes foot and vaginal infections, in people as well. The
cream is soothing as well and is available over the counter.
Ann felt from your description that it was very highly likely to be fungal
back then, and since Mimi wasn’t able to tolerate the Griseofulvin, she hasn’t
had a proper anti fungal course, so I think this would be wise.
If you have decided to go with Benadryl it may help her symptom of itchiness
and have value that way, but unless she is having an allergic reaction,
which this doesn’t sound like, it wont get to the root of her problem if it
is fungal or some other condition.

Is her condition getting worse or spreading?  Be sure to have the vet and
yourselves evaluate her for pain. Rimadyl would be helpful as its an NSAID
and would help with the inflammation of her condition if that is a factor,
also metacam is widely used also an NSAID but Ann feels strongly that
Rimadyl is safer. Pain is important to attend to in piggies and no doubt she
remains very uncomfortable. Hopefully she has not acquired a bacterial
infection, but that needs to be watched for. Some of this is repetitious but
I wanted to talk about all the facets to best address the entire situation.

Remember a fungal infection may take quite a while to treat, although I have
had relief from Miconizole in hours.   Be sure to keep us updated, and as
always that I am not a professional, just piggy momma and self taught with
the help of many others.   I remain very hopeful,  Sandy and Sammy