[Gpdd] MISC: RIP my beloved pig Biscuit

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:46:34 EDT 2011

Today was another sad day for me considering I lost my pig Bailey just a few
months ago. Today I had to have my pig Biscuit put to sleep. It seemed like
the hardest decision I would ever have to make. The guinea pig vet wasn't
sure exactly what was wrong with her, but she had horrible swelling in all
her joints and the x-ray showed some bone abnormalities and a prior broken
shoulder. The vet seemed to think she had an autoimmune problem that was
causing severe arthritis or some sort of ovarian problem that was causing
the bone problems. The blood work ruled out scurvy. I was feeding her baby
aspirin, half a tablet a day, to help with her pain, but it just wasn't
doing much. Her condition deteriorated rapidly and she lost the use of her
back legs, curled into a ball, couldn't move, and would scream when I had to
move her or pick her up. I decided I did not want to risk chronic steriod
use or spaying her; there was guarantee any of that would work and she might
end up suffering more. Through all of this, she was still bright eyed and
eating everything I fed her, which made my decision to put her to sleep even
harder. She was probably my favorite pig as she always had the best
personality. She was very active and loved to eat. It was important to her
that she 'pick out' which veggie she would like. She never wanted the one I
handed her, it was always another one :) Through all her pain she was so
brave and loving, and I am so grateful she is no longer suffering.