[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Honey

Juwles juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Fri Aug 5 00:07:39 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I finally decided to rejoin the GPDD, because I really have been missing you
wonderful group of loving people.  I had left because I couldn't stand
reading about any more deaths of our masters, but I'm feeling a bit stronger
and able to cope with these natural, but sad, events.

On 30th July I had my golden Rex named Honey euthanased.   His weight had
dropped to 650 grams a few days before I made the decision.  In fact, when I
was taking him to the vet for the continual cutting of his teeth, I did not
have euthanasia in my mind.   But when I saw this tinsie little baby, I knew
the best way to show my love was not to think of myself (i.e. I'm not ready
yet, I can't handle it, maybe he'll pick up), they were all selfish
thoughts.  Through my tears I gained the strength to say no more putting him
through the teeth cutting, because I'd only be back the next week.    I had
been syringe feeding him since March.   His problems began after my sisters
piggy Hamish died in December from a stroke.  In actual fact, I can
positively say that Honey fretted himself to death.   He was a wonderful
patient, and so very good with the feeding, but I think since a couple of
months ago, those thoughts had entered my head that I should be letting him
join Hamish.   I knew it couldn't go on, and I knew what the ultimate
outcome would be.  I just kept trying and hoping.   My little boy knew me
and he loved me to bits, as I did him.  At the end of a feeding session
(about 1 hour later - 5 hours a day I spent feeding him), I'd say "Are you
ready?"    He knew by the tone of my voice that feeding was over and he came
and jumped/crawled up my shoulder and snuggled into my neck so hard - I
could feel the exchange of love in those hugs and snuggles.

Behind all my thinking, I had a determination I was not going to lose
another pig to teething problems, but Honey didn't want to eat, and just
couldn't when he finally wanted to.

I had even managed to rehouse him with another boar called Sooty, and they
became best mates.

We buried Honey with our dog Penny, who had 10 days before been euthanased
at the age of 15 years & 2 months.   So, I guess I was a bit of a wreck, and
still am.

Thanks for "listening" to my ramblings, especially about such a common
event, especially in my home.

Julie & her remaining 6 boys

And:

Muppet, Teddy, Dougall, Archie, Brandy, Hamish, Wheeky, & Honey  at the
Rainbow Bridge