[Gpdd] HEALTH: SOOTY

Juwles juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 7 15:55:17 EDT 2011

Firstly, thank you for all your love messages of condolence, and welcoming
me back to the Group.   I did miss you all so much.

Now to Sooty.    He had a tooth problem which the vet cut back his right
molar.   He hasn't been thriving, and in fact had lost weight - now down to
855grams.    I took him to the vet because he was making a rasping sound
when breathing and he had real sloppy poos.  The vet was more concerned
about his poos than teeth at that time, She did a smear test, but I haven't
heart anything back from her yet.     So, I put Sooty on Baytril (which made
his poos into cowpat consistency), and also probiotics twice a day - well
away from the time he's had antibiotics.    Then, I noticed he never eats
his grass, both dried or fresh.   He used to eat his grain, but that stopped
too.   One day I sat near him and watched, and he did go through a pile of
grass in my presence.   So, I think he needs company, which I'm giving him
lots more of.   He always eats his veges, but of course too much of a good
thing is nice for the tummy but not for sloppy pellets.   I give him
critical care during the day because they don't get veges until night-time.
I keep his cage clean and make sure his dish is always washed thoroughly.
I don't think he's fretting for Honey, but who knows?   I give him a hot
water bottle layed to the side of the tent in his cage, and if he's cold he
leans right against it.

I stopped the antibiotics today, because he didn't sound raspy in the
breathing department and I want to try to get his poos into harder pellets.
He's still throwing some foods around like he has teeth problems...... so,
please wish me luck and say a prayer to God.   To lose him now would knock
me into a deep depression...

Much love to you all,

Julie & 6