[Gpdd] [HEALTH] SOOTY

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Aug 7 18:57:51 EDT 2011

Dear Jules,
The CCT/BAR recommend that anytime a cavy goes off food or has any
dental work done on the molars that they must be put on antifungal
drugs. They recommend Daktarin oral gel 0.5 ml three times a day for the
first week, twice a day for the second week and once a day for the third
week. If you can not get daktarin oral gel you can use Nystatin oral
suspension 100,000 USP units. The dose is orally 0.3 ml twice a day for
10-14 days. Soft poos are often a result of an internal fungal problem.
If this has been going on for longer than 3 weeks he may need a stronger
antifungal drug.  BAR recommends Itrafungol which is a 10 mg/ml oral
suspension of itraconazole. The dose would be 0.5 ml twice daily for
10-21 days. I am sending to your personal email address a pdf on
Corrective dentistry for cavies. It does sound like Sooty still has
dental problems and or oral thrush. Oral thrush in the throat can not be
seen but can put Sooty off eating. Please print it out and have your vet
read it then maybe you should take Sooty in for a re-check of his teeth.
Also regarding giving antibiotics for respiratory problems. The CCT/BAR
also recommend that an anti inflammatory be always given with the
antibiotic. So for future reference the treatment protocol would be
Baytril orally 10 mg twice a day for 7 days along with Rimadyl. The
Rimadyl dose is 10 mg twice a day for the first 3 days then 5 mg twice a
day for the remainder of the time the cavy is on antibiotics. If you can
not get Rimadyl then children's Ibuprofen can be used. The bottle will
say 100mg ibuprofen in 5 ml. The dose is 0.4 ml twice a day for the
first 3 days then 0.2 ml twice a day for the remainder of the time on
the antibiotic. I hope this helps Sooty. I am not a vet but I volunteer
for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure Animal Hospital as a cavy health
advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.