[Gpdd] HEALTH Diseases in Satin piggies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Tue Aug 9 05:15:59 EDT 2011

Oh dear Joanie,

As if that poor piggy does not have enough with which to contend. The "Satin disease" is called OD - Osteodystrophy to give it its full name.

Janneke and I both had satin piggies. Mine was called Satin ( she arrived here with the name ) and Janneke had Yaya and together we did a lot of research into OD.

Here is a link to a page with some useful info.

http://www.guineapigwelfare.org.uk/satin-guinea-pigs/

Not all Satins develop OD. My Satin was already an elderly lady before she showed any symptoms and she led a happy and healthy life until then. I had begun to think that she was the only Satin in Europe to be unaffected.

I have read that it is not as prevalent in the US and I hope that a member living there will add to this. Maybe they have been bred for longer here in Europe and the disease is, therefore, more widespread. There has to be a smaller gene pool in order to breed Satins and the chances of passing it on must be greater.

At the time, Janneke translated for me a Dutch site with a lot of helpful info and I will forward it direct to your email address as it is rather long for the Digest.

Having said all this, I would not be put off from accepting a Satin piggy here at Piggyfriends as every piggy needs a loving home. Satins are beautiful piggies and it is so sad that this defect should have come about.

You'll have to make up your own mind whether you want this responsibility and possible future vet bills.

I am ccing this to you now so that you will know why I am sending Janneke's translation.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.