[Gpdd] Health: Re: Otto the Very Vocal Guinea Pig is Ailing!

Guineapigfilms at aol.com Guineapigfilms at aol.com
Fri Aug 26 14:10:58 EDT 2011

I am happy to say that Otto the Very Vocal Guinea Pig is rallying. He even
managed some feeble "wheeks" when I came downstairs this morning. He is
drinking water from his water bottle again, and is able to eat bits of baby
carrot and bits of apple slices.

I am still syringing him with Critical Care, although the syringe is
getting harder and harder to operate. Otto has gnawed the tip of it so much. Also,
the grit from the Critical Care gets trapped in the tip. I gave up in
frustration last night and began giving the Critical Care to him from a very
small (1/2 tsp) plastic spoon.

Otto seems to look forward to being wrapped in a towel and getting the
Critical Care, and I am bonding with him more than ever.

I remember how I pulled our very first guinea pig, Hazel, through pneumonia
many years ago by syringing Critical Care, Vitamin C, acidopholus and
antibiotics into her. It really brought me so much closer to Hazel that it made
her death years later, especially devastating.

I'm sure you all know how helping a sick piggy makes you even more attached
to that piggy. So please keep rooting for Otto! He is definitely taking an
interest in things again.

And thank you so much for the individual emails about Otto and about the
loss of my mother. I really, really appreciate them and will send individual
replies when I'm no longer up all night syringing Critical Care into a sick
guinea pig!   ;-)

Love and Wheeeeeeeeeps,

Nancy (and Alyssa) and Otto, the Very Vocal Guinea Pig