[Gpdd] Health: Re: Otto the Very Vocal Guinea Pig is Ailing!

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 05:46:19 EDT 2011

Alyssa,

I am relieved to read that dear Otto is responding to your care.

I always keep a boxful of new syringes in my piggy first aid box. They
quickly become gnawed and gunged up with whatever liquid feed you are using.
Years ago I tried Supreme's "Science Recovery' when it first came out in
England. It seems to be a similar thing to Critical Care but it was so full
of gritty bits that I couldn't even get it down the little 1ml. syringe that
I use for piggies. It might have been OK for buns who could take a bigger
syringe but useless for piggies. I expect that the formula has been improved
since then but I stick to my own recipes for syringe feeding and also use
veggie baby food. Whatever you can get into a sick piggy will help keep his
gut ticking over and not go into stasis.

If Otto is able to take his food from a spoon that is all to the good. I
have had syringe feeders who could help out in between meals by taking some
for themselves from a flat dish. Messy but helpful.

We all send our love to Otto and are hoping for the best.

Many paws crossed.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.