[Gpdd] BEHAVIOUR: In charge of a herd

Stefanie Duffy stefanieduffy at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 28 11:05:32 EDT 2011

The lady at the first rescue I ever went to told me that it was an excellent idea to have one neutered male in a herd of girls because he would keep them all in order. The male that I got from her, Budweiser, did  rule the herd but only by body language rather than actually doing anything. I now have Boxty and, like Mickey before him, he rules the roost but is rather annoying to new arrivals whilst he asserts himself as boss. I have never, until today, seen how the male really does keep the others in order. This morning Shiner came down the ramp from one hutch, minding her own business, when Amaretti decided to chase her. They went round in circles for a moment and then I saw Boxty fly out of the other hutch like an exocet missile and chase Amaretti away. Well done Boxty! I was very proud of him for nipping antisocial behaviour in the bud.

Stefanie, Boxty and his herd of Surrey Squeakers