[Gpdd] HEALTH: Modifying feeding plunger

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 08:09:15 EDT 2011

Dear Joanie;  I had to read it twice myself. Here's my take. The plunger in
a regular 3 cc syringe is tipped in rubber, rubber is not good for piggies
to eat and it could become exposed if the end is cut off enough for piggy to
take in as much Critical Care as she can.  So Ann suggests using a piece of
a drinking straw to slip over the end of the rubber tip, snug enough it
doesn’t slip off, loose enough to fit over. I'm not sure what size drinking
straw will do this, take the plunger to the store with you. I imagine you
cut off the straw so it just shields the rubber part for piggy teeth. So
this should shield the rubber tip from piggy eating it.  This situation
arises because a regular 3 cc syringe needs to be cut off so that the bore
is wider, wide enough that piggy can get as much food at a time as she can
handle but perhaps wide enough also for the rubber tip becomes reachable by
the piggy.  The regular opening is so small piggy cant suck  much food at a
time so Ann suggests widening it. We don’t want a sick piggy to work too
hard to eat.

Critical Care or Critter-B-Better can be fed by spoon in a stronger pig

Since I don’t have all the pieces in front of me I don’t know exactly how
all the pieces fit together, but I can imagine it.  Another way to
accomplish the same end is to buy a feeding syringe,  they have a wider
bore, and the tube holds more, and a feeding tip that comes so that it can
be cut off at various diameters, and it holds more than 3cc. I have one that
holds 2 teaspoons but the nozzle is a fairly fixed bore (width) so it cant
be widened much. Here is a picture of one although I seen others in the
infant department in big stores and grocery stores.
http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/search?af=type%3Aproduct&view=grid&w=feeding%20syringe&visitorID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&subtotal=0.00
let me know if you still have trouble.

They also carry the Adams shampoo in the round blue bottle (and the generic)
, avoid the type that says it kills eggs over time, that product is harmful.
They also carry ivermectin, Panacur, regular syringes and NSAIDS for pain
and inflammation relief like Rimadyl. Some may need prescriptions depending
on your state.