[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Teddy, Tex, Johnnie, Randy, and Sir Edward

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Aug 31 20:29:58 EDT 2011

My dear friend in Orlando who works with the second chance rescue that has provided me with most of my piggies suffered a catastrophic pig loss last week.  I’m in shock, and I can’t image how she is feeling right now. This has been a rough year for her for a lot of reasons, and I wish there were something that I could do to help.

She lost Tex last month right before I lost Twinkie. He was part of the great pig swap of 2010 when I brought him and his brother Teddy to my friend’s rescue, and I adopted Reese to free up space for them. Tex died during surgery for a prolapse.  Tex was a brave little dude. He was cold and near starving when we first met. His fur was all matted, and my friend had to just about shave him to get rid of all the mats. He never gained a lot of weight, but his health seemed to be improving until the end. He always took care of his little brother, Teddy, who was the shy one.

Teddy was a sweet little guy. When I found out that Tex had died, I considered adopting him, but my friend really seemed to love him so much, I couldn’t take another one of her special piggies from her. He had a terrible case of bumble foot from living on wire before we found him. He must have been in so much pain, but he was always so sweet.

Shortly after Tex died, she adopted Sir Edward so he could keep Teddy company. Sir Edward was a beautiful, yet prissy, Texel who spent a month in the county shelter before he found his way home to live with my friend. He was only with her for a couple months, but it was two months in a loving home he wouldn’t have had because he was scheduled for euthanasia at the shelter when my friend took him home.

After I adopted Cocoa Puff from her a few years ago, my friend adopted a little piggie that she named Johnnie. He had seriously deformed front feet, but it never seemed to bother him. He hopped around like a little bunny, and always had a sweet smile on his face.

Once Johnnie joined her family, she adopted Randy. If you are fan of Austin Powers’ movies, his name was rather appropriate. His overly “dominant” behavior made him less likely to be adopted, and so another little misfit joined her herd. He and Johnnie actually got along very well and spent almost two years together.

Well, as I mentioned, she works for a second chance rescue, so she fosters animals. One of her sweet little doggies who she had been fostering for a month and seriously considering adopting got into her pig cages while she was away from the house.  She said that whatever I could imagine, this was worse.

As you can imagine, she’s devastated. For the first time in years, she is pig-less. I’m sure that it won’t be for long. She has a great heart, and a great love for animals. When the time is right, I’m sure a sweet little piggie or two will find their way home to her. Meanwhile, please say a prayer for her, or send positive energy her way to help her get through this. Thanks for your support!

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Reese, Puffy, Cocoa Puff, Chakalaka, Dilly Jr., and Ghirardelli in our home and with Twinkie and Dillon Forever in our Hearts.