[Gpdd] Gpdd (CARE) (I trimmed my piggie's front teeth all by myself!)

Ellen Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 21:14:43 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I was trying to type this message earlier this morning before I went
to sleep. I am a total night owl usually and sometimes I just go and
go until I fall asleep, which is what I was doing when I first
attempted to send this information, which is that I actually trimmed
Lil Red's front teeth with the scissor-type nail trimmers that I use
to trim the piggies toenails and fingernails. (Yes, they have
fingernails :)
Lil Red had been through the mill with vets trimming her teeth. I was
very dissatisfied with the poor service and a couple of these vets,
who do a lousy job, and charge a fortune. Ok enough of that.
I just did what Ann and Penny say to do.  I also have ordered the #520
rodent premolar and molar clippers from Shipp's, at Ann's advice.
Although they have not arrived yet.
Yesterday, I looked at Lil Red's top front teeth (superior incisors).
After looking at her moms' perfect teeth, I just knew I could not wait
to take her to a fourth vet; (there are 3 vets we have "dealt" with
here, apparently the two out of the three, who have worked on her
teeth, have been "stacking the deck" in their favor, because they do a
lousy job and don't really seem to care.  The fourth vet is Dr. Moyer
who we have not gone to yet, but he specializes in dentistry
(according to his phone book ad) and he has been practising 20+ years.
I need to ask if he uses isoflurane. and if he has buccal pad
separators. Well I got my own from BAR, and also the diamond- taped
dental rasps, and I see how stressed my piggies get (well, Lil Red)
when a big monster vet tries to attack her teeth. So if I can, I will
do it myself, when I can.  At least now Lil Red can pick up pellets
and eat since her top incisors are shorter.  They were really long,
and this was just about three weeks after the OTHER vet trimmed them
in a dissatisfactory way, then yelled at me on the phone in response
to his delaying Nystatin. Lil Red was given a prescription by Dr. King
for Nystatin, and it was for 0.3mL twice a day/14 days on the label
but turns out it was only enough for 10 days. She ahs about two more
doses. I have not been able to do everything I really need to do for
the piggies on a daily basis- every little detail gets neglected,
because I have not enough time in the day to do everything. I make
sure they have the basics though-- pellets, hay, fresh bedding, and
fresh water.
Ciao,
Ellen