[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Mimi is losing weight and oatmeal

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Dec 25 21:00:48 EST 2011

I hope Mini has been wormed every 3 months. If not have her vet worm
her. See the Piggyville link for instructions.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9
Since Mimi is eating normally I would have your vet check her molars and
check her for cystitis. Go to Piggyville.com to read about urinary tract
infections.
http://www.piggyville.com/index.php?id=4
If her urinalysis is normal then I would consider the option of her
having a systemic fungal infection which is interfering with the cecum's
ability to digest and assimilate what she is eating. What do her fecal
pellets look like? The British Association of Rodentologists BAR,
recommends Itraconazole 10 mg/ml at a dose of 0.3-0.5 ml twice a day for
10 days then 3 days off. Repeat for 10 more days and 3 days off meds for
a total of 30 days on the itraconazole. Peter Gurney routinely fed ill
pigs rolled oats though mine prefer caned pumpkin without any spices. I
am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure
Animal Hospital as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.