[Gpdd] Behavior

tmwood1 at nycap.rr.com tmwood1 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 20:49:14 EST 2011

Hi.  I am a new Piggie Mom.  I bought (next time I'll adopt) my first Guinea Pig on September 14th.  At that time, Hemi was 4 months old (male).  I've read and learned so much about Piggies since then, however, I'm stumped on one thing.

I spend quite a bit of time with Hemi.  Although I work, I take time for him in the morning and when I get home.  On the weekends, I put him in his large playpen and play with him (I get in it, too), as well as take some "quiet time" with him - holding him and petting him.  I do this every evening, also.  At times, while holding him (on a nice thick fleece on my lap)and petting him, he'll climb up my chest to my shoulder and then either pull on my clothes or bite them - at times, biting me through my clothes.  When I say pull, I mean REALLY pull . . . almost ripping my clothes.  I've read that you should only hold a Guinea Pig for about 10 minutes because they'll have to urinate.  I've also read that pulling on clothing can be a sign that they have to urinate, as well.  When Hemi starts to pull on my clothes, I put him back in his cage for a while.  Some times he does have to urinate and other times, he doesn't.

Can anyone tell me if they've experienced this and if so, what is the cause?  I like to spend time with him and do not like to limit it because he's biting but sometimes he won't stop and I don't know any other option than to put him back in his cage, thinking that it is what he really wants.  I've tried giving him little treats, like an apple slice or a wooden toy to chew.  This works for a few seconds and then he's back to biting.

It's not always like this...sometimes he's very content in my arms and lays there enjoying the attention and the petting/brushing, almost falling asleep.  At times, I've held him for over an hour like this.

Am I doing the right thing?  Is biting something babies do and he'll grow out of it?

If anyone can give me advice, I sure would appreciate it.  I've learned so much from reading everything everyone has to offer.  I've been keeping copies of all of the health information, as I found after getting a Guinea Pig that my city doesn't have an exotic animal vet!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

~Tina