[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Chakalaka keeps losing weight

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Feb 13 01:32:32 EST 2011

Dear ME  I will suggest several things

1. The Baytril dosage was cut off too soon, seems to take longer also you
should post back his weight and the previous dosage prescribed, if we can
verify it any emg. vet could refill it

2. Sounds like he may have had a UTI hence the Baytril so start him on
unsweetened cranberry juice from the health food side, must have no sugar or
corn syrup, etc..

3. Read the other advices under the topic UTI we have been discussing this
past month or 2

4. Because his teeth may be causing him pain syringe or spoon thin mashed
pellets soaked very well, also bits of lettuce

5. Please do the penis check I wrote about earlier this week, make sure it
can extrude all the way  and is clean, I use olive oil, and don’t use any
thing else that will put him off eating his cecals, he will decline rapidly
if that happen.  I suggest this be the very first as you said he wouldn’t
pee for vet, that’s impossible, if left in a clear shoe box or supervised on
the exam table he will give a sample and if he doesn’t it could mean a
blockage in the penis or that its stuck or maybe a stone stuck further up.
If he cant pee his bladder might burst so this is very important. Also make
sure the slot between his testicles is cleaned out, that gets blocked too
and they cant get their cecals or defecate and start a rapid decline  Also
make sure he is pooing, is it too dry? if so increase fluid but id wet
enough moderate (not withhold water )  until you know if he can pee freely

6. Make sure he is on a really good probiotic, many kinds of bacteria listed
as active on the label look in health food section, Greek yogurt or the
expensive refrigerated capsules are fine also in the health food section.
Don’t assume Dannon with the L. caseii or the bifidus type bacteria are
better, try to get one that has 5 types incl. a streptococcal type

7.   He came to you with ringworm, he may have had other parasites, I would
start him immed on Panacur and Ivermectin if he hasn’t had a treatment in
the last 3 months, be prepared to treat the others as well. Use Ann Evan/
Cambridge Cavy Trust protocol posted 3 times since Christmas, on Sunday you
may find the IV type Ivermectin at a feed store for horses in a refrigerator
case, ask for a syringe to get it out, Look on the bottle for the dilution
it is and see how much to dilute to use proper dose for your piggies. Use
the needle to take a small measured amount out of the bottle and then dilute
it and fed orally with the needle removed.

I will try to find the documents for you and forward but I have guests
overdue so I might not find it before they get here  Good luck little
Chakalaka, you have a good mommy, get well soon love Sandy and Sammy