[Gpdd] Health: Re: Chakalaka

dukejan1 at aol.com dukejan1 at aol.com
Sun Feb 13 18:39:57 EST 2011

ME,

As I was reading through your post, I immediately began to think liver and then I saw that your vet suspects it.  The vet gave my Isabel the same thyroid/cholesterol test and complete bloodwork after she began to lose weight and her urine became quite foul smelling.  The first bloodwork showed slightly elevated liver readings with all else normal.  The first thought was that the liver elevation would go down because Isabel had had her first bout with overgrown front teeth and molars one month short of her 7th birthday and was not eating properly.  The vet thought it might correct itself after the teeth were trimmed and her eating improved but she continued to lose weight despite all efforts to get more food/critical care into her.  The second blood test showed unusually high liver readings and ultrasound confirmed liver disease.  (Some studies show that liver disease is a result of cedar or pine bedding, but Isabel lived on Carefresh bedding and Chakalaka on fleece, so that theory doesn't hold here.)

Isabel received rest of life meds to regulate the liver.  I'll not go into them here as I am very much hoping and praying that Chakalaka does not have liver disease.  Get well soon, Chakalaka!

Janet, Luke & Saralea