[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Chakalaka keeps losing weight

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Feb 14 04:31:49 EST 2011

ME,

I was sorry to read about Chakalaka's illness. Your vet seems to have been
very thorough with all of those tests.

It certainly sounds as though he started with a UTI and I agree with other
members that he might have needed a longer peiod on the antibiotics to clear
it up.

Sandy has already posted most of what I would have suggested.

Your little guy could, of course, have more than one illness going on at the
same time. When piggies suddenly lose weight, if their teeth are not at
fault, my Rodentologists look into the possibility of a systemic fungal
infection and try treating with griseofulvin. When I posted about my Rye
losing weight and being on this drug, Ann posted about a similar treatment
that she and her vet use.

Some while ago, my Sapphire ( who is Rye's mum ) was having trouble eating
and lost weight. She was found to have oral thrush and was treated with
Daktarin oral gel. She had to be syringe fed until this had cleared up but
she recovered and gained all the weight  back again. Fungal problems seem to
run in families.

One of my dogs had an underactive thyroid, for which she was on meds the
whole of her long life. The vet warned me that she would be lethargic and
feel the cold more than normal. I have never had a more active dog. She
would run for miles and loved to roll in snow. Not every little patient
follows the norm.

I fervently hope that liver disease is not the correct diagnosis here.

Wishing you all the best with Chakalaka.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.