[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Chakalaka, Ranting and Vet Sect Repel Shampoo

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Fri Feb 18 15:23:57 EST 2011

Dear ME, Penny and the GPDD Family,

I too am very happy to hear that Chakalaka is gaining weight. I truly
believe his recovery is primarily due to the round the clock care that
ME and her husband continue to give him. ME has even taken him to work
to make sure he gets his meds and feedings every four hours.

I agree 100% with Penny's rant. I feel it is our responsibility to
educate ourselves and then try to educate our vets on how to care for
cavies.  I feel that the information one can learn from buying the care
sheets and diagnostic flow charts from the British Association of
Rodentologists (BAR) is invaluable.
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/Products.html
You do not have to be a member of the Cambridge Cavy Trust or a member
of BAR to buy their products. I would also buy the buccal pad separatos.
You will then need care sheet No 7 Dental Problems to know how to use
them and what to look for in your cavies mouth. More importantly you can
then show your vet how to use them and examine your cavys mouth and even
trim molars without the use of anesthetic. Though I know many vets will
feel more comfortable using isoflurane gas at 2.0% to examine the teeth.

Penny is absolutely correct that Vet Sect Repel Shampoo is the best both
antifungal and antiparasitic shampoo on the market. However I do not
know of anyplace where it is sold in the USA. I do not even know of an
equivalent product in the USA. You can order Vet Sect Repel Shampoo
online. I use Adams flea and tick shampoo with 0.15% pyrethrins. Also
Povidone-iodine Solution 10%  with a dab of Adams mixed in to prevent
and treat fungal infections.
Please remember that parasites are the number one cause of disease and
death in cavies. Their metabolic waste products are toxic and effect
every organ in a cavy. BAR care sheets 4 and 5 will tell you how to worm
your cavies. I use a slightly different protocol then BARs for just the
first worming. This is because the USA is much larger than the UK and
our supply of fresh food, hay and pellets come from a differnt region
than what is used in the UK. For example Oxbow hay is sterilized prior
to shipment to the UK. It is not sterilized in the USA. Cavies in the
USA are potentially exposed to far more parasites than cavies in the UK.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.