[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Sparkles has 'bacteria'

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Feb 21 16:42:05 EST 2011

Dear Corrine, Sandy and the GPDD Family,
Sandy has given very good advice regarding Sparkles condition in issues
53, 54 and 55.. I told Sandy I was just so busy seeing cavies that I did
not have time to reply to Corrine's questions. I dictated to Sandy my
answer and she got almost everything right. I was so exhausted at the
time I was dictating the answer into her voice mail system that any
errors I am sure are on my part.
First Sparkles needs to be wormed. The amount of Panacur is 0.4ml of a
2.5% Panacur suspension. 2.5% = 25 mg/ml times 0.4 ml equals 10mg of
Panacur. I do not know if her vet has 2.5% Panacur so by stating the
dose as the amount of active ingredient 10mg, her vet can calculate how
much to give.This is the link to the worming protocol. She needs 5 doses
of panacur and 2 doses of Ivermectin.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9
An important part of the protocol is that she needs at least two baths
in Mycodex shampoo from the vet or Adams flea and tick shampoo that you
can buy at a pet store. Give the baths once a week. Once Corrine starts
worming her cavies every 3 months she will just have to give them one
antiparasitic bath. Personally I alternate and give my cavies antifungal
baths in the summer and antiparasitic baths in the winter time. Of
course all of her cavies and especially any cavy in the same cage with
Sparkles will have to be wormed and undergo both antiparasitic and
antifungal baths.

The bald spot on her rump may be mites or may be a fungal infection.
Regardless if she has been scratching to the point of having a bare
patch the scratching from mites can cause a fungal infection and a
bacterial infection. Also fungal infections can cause severe scratching
too which spreads the fungal infection and can cause bacterial
infections of the skin. A fungal or bacterial infection on the skin can
then become an internal infection when the cavy cleans itself.
Prevention is the name of the game. So Sparkles also has to be bathed in
the povidone-iodine 10% solution also known as Betadine  with a dab of
Adams shampoo to help it lather. Your vet may have an iodine based
shampoo also. The important thing is the lather has to stay on for 10
minutes. You can wrap Sparkles in a towel to keep her warm when she is
all lathered up. You also have to vigorously scrub the skin and pull out
any hair around the bald spot that will come out with a tug. Fungal
spores are under the skin and down in the hair follicles. The best time
to pull the hair out is when you are rinsing her under the tap. The
water running over her skin helps sooth the discomfort. She will need 2
of the antifungal baths in a week. In between the baths she will need
the anti-fungal cream or Lotrimin spray applied to the bald patch twice
a day for 14 days.
I had no idea that Sparkles has oral thrush. I have just recently posted
on how to treat this condition. I will re-post it below. Sandy got
everything else correct. She is a great personal secretary. I thank her
greatly for helping me and Corrine and the entire GPDD Family.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.