[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Does Sparkles have oral thrush?

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Feb 21 17:01:22 EST 2011

Dear Corrine and the GPDD Family,

Sandy mentioned that Sparkles has oral thrush. I would not be surprised
since she probably has a fungal infection of the skin. Corrine also
mentioned that Sparkles seems to chew slowly. Oral thrush can also cause
malocclusion of the molars. I am sending to Corrine Corrective Dentistry
for Rodents. This is a BAR document. You can buy it from BAR under
products at this link.
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/
It is care sheet Number 7 Dental Problems. It also goes into treating
fungal infections. But I would also buy Care sheet Number 6 which covers
all fungal infections.

Oral thrush causes pain in the mouth and throat. Thus the cavy does not
eat enough hay to keep the molars ground down since all the teeth are
constantly growing. Any condition that causes a cavy to be in pain can
cause it to go off food and lead to malocclusion of the molars. Anytime
a cavy has any dental work on the molars it should be immediately put on
a course of Daktarin oral gel or the equivalent human antifungal
medication to treat babies that have oral thrush such as Nystatin Oral
Suspension 100000 USP units. The dosage for Daktarin oral gel to treat
oral thrush or after molars are cut is 0.5ml 3 times/day for the first
week, 0.5 ml twice a day for the second week and 0.5ml once a day for
the third week. If using Nystatin Oral Suspension the dose would be 0.1
ml administered according to the same schedule as Daktarin oral gel. If
the fungal infection in the mouth is so severe that cavys mouth appears
to have cottage cheese in it then it will have to be treated with a
stronger antifungal drugs such as Itrafungol or Sporanox oral solution.
The adult dose would be 0.4ml twice daily for the first 3-5 days
followed by a twice daily dose of 0.2ml for at least 2-3 weeks. If the
cavy is showing signs of severe neurological problems such as ataxia,
introversion or having fits the treatment may need to be given over a
much longer period.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.