[Gpdd] GPDD [Health]Re: Sparkles bacterial, fungal, and parasite infections, part 2

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 23:39:28 EST 2011

5. The best air cleaner, which also would help VOG,  I have ever had is the
Model 17000 Honeywell Hepa. Its fairly large but works so well and although
I have had it well over 10 yrs. it's still available from Amazon.com.
Although I got several at Costco so that’s probably what you have. Buy a
Honeywell
Hepa, not something with a tiny square of foam or cloth called a HEPA. Don’t
ever waste your money on the Ionic Breeze (Sharper Image)or other
electrostatic types that just pass a slight breeze over metal blades, they
just don't process enough air to do any good work.  The Honeywell's filters
last longer on the HEPA's than they say they do, and I just vacuum the outer
pre filter and air intakes once every couple of weeks and they last a very
long time too. Also Check Consumers Reports index. I once had a large
electronic type installed in my whole house forced air/ heat pump system,
when you get a house that’s the way to go. Even then I had a Honeywell Hepa
by the piggies and in my bedroom so no dust in that house. (I am responsible
for this section wholly)

6. Ann reminds us that a piggy in this condition with these meds and also
having the problems eating is a perfect candidate for an oral or systemic
(all through the body) thrush infection, so just keep an eye out on her
mouth to make sure she doesn’t get that telltale cottage cheesy  stuff all
over the inside of her mouth, if she does, back to the vet for a 14 day
course of treatment. Thrush also happen in moist or humid climates a bit
more easily, and of course if you don’t keep your piggies environment clean.

7. A reminder from me, Ann's/Cavy trust worming and parasite control
protocol
including ivermectin, panacur, and the Adams 0.15% pyrethrum shampoo is such
a great health care regimen, and followed year round will prevent allot of
health issues from popping up, and those that come up anyway wont be
complicated by parasite taking advantage of your piggies weakened immune
system. I have seen this happen in many pigs with deadly consequences, and
vow it wont happen to mine.  Sorry to sound preachy, the protocol just
works. It's
available in the GPDD archives and I have copies as has Ann and she has made
a source available mail order from Great Britain although it is a bit less
stringent as GB is much smaller than the US, most of their produce is more
local and so their parasite problems isn't as deep as ours.

8 In a separate email I voiced my continuing concern that your vet hasn't
told you what kind of bacteria he found in Sparkles loose cecal poos, where
it is likely coming from. Bacteria are always found in cecals and parasites
can make the poos soft, so it would be great if you get him to give you
exactly what he found by name, and what is most likely infected. If the
infection recurs then I recommend a culture and sensitivity test to identify
the bacteria and for him to find the source and prescribe a longer course of
treatment, one weak of Baytril is very short. With what we know now his
words seem baffling.  But for right now you have the info and tools to treat
Sparkles so we are all looking forward to and improved little girl. Get the
ivermectin and go with it too, they both treat different parasites.
much love for you and Michael and little Sparkles, Sandy and Sammy