[Gpdd] HEALTH: Sparkles update

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 18:12:46 EST 2011

Dear Corrine, the itchy or flaky spot is the same as a bald spot in terms of
cause. It means that either parasites like mites or a fungal infection are
causing it, so definitely get her the shampoo Ann recommends, Adams with
0.15% pyrethrums, and use some of the Betadyne or other solutions she uses,
easily available, 2 baths.  I have used Burt's Bees too, Sammy uses Chaz
Dean Tea Tree Oil cleaner and conditioner, as do I or one of their other
flavors. You can use that after her anti parasite and anti fungal baths

OK lets talk soft poos?  On the diet you listed she shouldn’t have them. She
most likely doesn’t have a blockage as she wouldn’t lose then gain back
weight (a bit of a guess there)  I have never given oil to a piggy as they
don’t digest it, so it could cause soft poos.

So according to your history of Sparkles, she was on a regular diet with
lots of fresh food and she had soft poos  (same problem has happened in your
bunch before)  So the vet cut back her fresh veggies to none? And she
stopped pooing. That could have happened because those fresh foods have
allot of water in them and she may not have made it up at her water bottle.
Then you oiled her and the poo flowed. I don’t know if its cause and effect.
And now she is on Critter Be Better twice a day, and meds, brewers yeast and
banana. So how much banana, should just be a nubbin, or small slice  and why
brewers yeast?  In all my years I have never seen it recommend for piggies
or buns, I remember when it was supposed to be a wonder food for people but
some people cant tolerate it, so maybe some pigs cant.

Critter be better comes in pellets, right?  I would leave them out free
choice as 2 feedings a day is not enough food, remember piggies eat all day.
Watch carefully for others on the  to recommend yah or nay on the Brewers
Yeast, I would start tapering it off, syringing water if she isn't making a
significant dent in her water bottle since she doesn’t have enough fresh
food to hydrate her.  I would add back some wet romaine, and cut back on oil
unless others can justify the Brewers yeast and oil

Finally the big one, did she get her ivermectin?  the soft poos are usually
due to parasites and panacur doesn’t kill every kind, that’s why we give
both. So if she hasn’t had the ivermectin take Ann's protocol to the vet and
get it, tell him to feed the dosage in a syringe with no needle, and follow
with some fresh food, then get a take home dose for the following week or a
bottle to feed all your piggies as they pass parasites back and forth,  Good
Luck  and good health Sandy and Sammy

Thanks to Ann & Sandy for all their help with Sparkles.