[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE Two new Piggyfriends. Part One.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Thu Feb 24 14:09:20 EST 2011

I was in the village pet shop waiting to pay for my birdseed, when I saw, pinned to the counter, a note saying "Two guinea pigs free to a good home". There was a small pigture and a phone number.

So much for the New Year Resolution not take in any more piggies unless they came knocking at the door but willpower flies out of the window when piggies are in need.

As soon as I reached home, I called the number and got an answerphone. The message said that the person would call right back so I left my details. I suspected that I was not the first person to offer a home so was not surprised when no-one called. Two days later I got home to find a message saying that the owner had experienced problems with her phone and had only just heard my message . She said that the piggies were still available and asked me to call again if I was still interested. Do you think that I was?

She delivered them yesterday. Her two children each carried in a cardboard box and set them on the floor. I opened the first one and saw a whole boxful of fluffy golden hair with two bright button eyes looking up at me. I lifted the piggy out. A beautiful golden Alpaca squeaked at me. His hair was an enormous matt full of hay and wood shavings. Wood shavings? Eeek!

The second box contained a lovely dark silver and white Agouti Sheltie, in need of a haircut but not so matted as his friend. He reminds me of M's Spooky but with longer hair.

The owner explained that the piggies had been bought for the children when both of their cats were killed in road accidents but that they had been disappointed when they proved not to be as cuddly as the cats had been. She had not done her homework regarding piggy care and was very pleased to give them to me. She had bought them from a pet warehouse with no idea that their hair would grow to be so high maintenance. She and the children looked around at all of the Piggyfriends and thought that their piggies would like it here.

She had warned me that their nails were very sharp but had no idea how to go about clipping them and told me that she brushed their hair frequently but did not know how to remove the mats. I told her not to worry about that and that they would both be having a haircut, shampoo and manicure.

I settled them into my quarantine cage with a pile of veggies and grass.

I had better make this into two episodes. I don't want it rejected like Sandy's long message was.

Part two in a minute.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.