[Gpdd] SILLY. Piggy recycling

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Feb 25 06:17:05 EST 2011

When I trim the hair of any of my longhaired piggies in the Spring, I put all the offcuts into a wire basket, which I hang in a tree in the garden and nesting birds help themselves to the contents. Most of it is taken by the starlings, who nest in a barn type building on a nearby property. This has a wavy metal roof and the starlings build their nests in the tunnel shapes made by the wavy top.

I pruned a clematis in my garden this morning. During the summer it is a thick mass of leaves and flowers and I had not noticed that a bird had made a nest inside. As I pruned the tangle of twigs to leave room for the new shoots to grow, I removed the nest only to find it lined with a neat layer of curly black hair that could only have come from my lovely Texel, Shadow.

Those baby birds had a nice soft bed in which to grow and Shadow is pleased with his efforts at recycling.

It will soon be time to hang out the wire basket again. There will be plenty of nesting material this year with all of the excess hair that I removed from my new boys yesterday. I might need two baskets.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.