[Gpdd] HEALTH: Off to the Vet with Apple --- Maybe Sore Toofies?

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Fri Feb 25 12:37:58 EST 2011

Wish me luck --- I'm off to the vet with Miss Apple this afternoon!

We were in first about a week ago when she very suddenly began refusing her veggie salad plate.  It was my vet's last day before leaving for a conference for a week and I'm not sure we had her undivided attention.  She thought she saw some moistness around Apple's nose, diagnosed a probable respiratory infection and sent us home with baytril (which Apple had never been on before).

Long story short(er), things got worse instead of better.  She almost completely stopped eating everything, I started syringe feeding, we went to see a different vet (both of the ones who see exotics at my usual clinic were away at the same conference) who didn't actually DO anything but who provided a good sounding board and helped sort out some possibilities.  She also recommended (considering that Apple was eating less after five days on the antibiotic and this vet could observe no signs of a respiratory infection) that I quit the baytril.

The second vet thought (this is my feeling too) that the real problem was more likely sore teeth.  This is the third day off the baytril and Apple is eating almost everything soft again, provided it is cut up fairly small.  She tries to eat hay, searching through her box until she finds the small soft pieces but seeming to have difficulty picking them up though she does chew when she gets hold of them.  Her response to the syringe feeding (her regular pellets blended with water and babyfood sweet potato) indicates to me that she has a good appetite.

The second vet also pointed out that one of her top incisors is longer than the other, not much but a little.  I don't know if it's enough to cause the problem.  With rabbits, I have found that incisor problems are often related to molar spurs but I don't know if this is true with piggies, too.

Today is the first day that the second exotics vet at my usual clinic is back from the conference so I'm taking Apple in to see her this afternoon; never seen this vet before but she seems good (based on observing her with other exotics clients in the waiting room).  I would happier if th temperature wasn't thirty degrees below zero outside (literally --- the "high" temp will be minus twenty three today) but I am worried about waiting any longer --- needless to say Apple will be whisked from house to car in seconds and I will have the carrier well wrapped up!

                                                                                               Pat S.