[Gpdd] HEALTH: Off to the Vet with Apple --- Maybe Sore Toofies?

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Feb 25 14:43:35 EST 2011

Pat,

I do hope that this new vet was able to help with Apple today.

You are right that piggy incisors being out of line can be symptomatic of a
molar problem. Often the end of the incisors have a diagonal slant when the
molars are compromised.

As one is longer than the other, is it possible that Apple might have broken
the shorter one? You might not have noticed it happening but it would
prevent her from eating correctly. I have had wire chewing piggies, who
broke one or more incisors and had to have grated veggies until they grew in
again ( this does not take long ). One in particular, my Rowan from years
ago, was always breaking incisors. I would just check his mouth for broken
bits and file any roughness off the end and he managed very well on grated
veg for a few days. He could still eat grass but nothing that needed a bite
taken out of it first.

A broken tooth might even be loose and that will render eating difficult. A
loose tooth will often come out on its own or the vet might need to give it
a tug. If this does happen, the new tooth will soon come in.

I do not envy you your winter temperatures.

Do tell us how you got on at the vet.  Best of luck.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.