[Gpdd] Sparkles update Part 1

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 06:29:07 EST 2011

Hope this reaches anyone who may wish to comment before sparkles vet appt on
Sat as the mods had me split it again
2 weeks Baytril is  ok as long as they were started one right after the
other, if there was several days gap ask for 2 more days.  Ask your vet what
he found in the last fecal test. As far as I know he only said "bacteria".
Since then she has had a full course of Panacur and hopefully Ivermectin so
all parasites should be gone.  In general we find a fecal float is
inconclusive esp after parasite treatment. Maybe he wants to tell if the
"bacteria he found last time are still there or gone
so get him to give you a written report on the last one and on this one. Ask
him to explain what bacteria he found last time and what it means and if its
still there. If you haven't had the ivermectin yet ask him to give her an
oral dose and to give you another to take home for next week. Remember  the
vet tech may something completely different than the vet would have, not
optimal but happens.  So let him do the test but make him explain;
1. the results of the last one, what the bacteria were that he found and if
it is cleared up. Ask him where the bacteria came from, get results both
tests in writing
2. get treatments of ivermectin to be given oral using the usual injectable
ivermectin, again take Ann's print out with you Get one oral treatment there
and one dose to take home for a week later
  2A ask if all your piggies should be treated for parasites and if so ask
for enough ivermectin and panacur to do it
3. Of course ask him to check for and treat  oral thrush if he finds it
present, it seems you aren't sure if she has it, and we were guessing so let
him diagnose it. Be absolutely sure to take Ann's instructions for
medication for oral thrush with you and ask for that treatment if he finds
the oral thrush

4. Ask for his overall impression of her health, can she go back on veggies
or not, and be sure to get enough Critter Be Better if that’s where you get
it. . And be sure to tell him everything you are giving her including the
oil, he has to know everything to make judgments. Have him tell you exactly
what to do from now on.

5. What happened with the flagyl last time, you mentioned a bad reaction, I
checked with Ann, she said Flagyl can be given to pigs so please tell us
what went wrong, we need to learn

6. I think vet visits stress you out too. Ask to sit where there are no dogs
and cats or noise, a treatment room as soon as you get there is fine. Make
sure she has a box with her same bedding and a pigloo and her food in it.
Take water separately and feed it to her. Noise, dogs and cats and hustle
bustle are enough to put piggy and owner on edge. Read to her, it will calm
you both.

I don’t think Ann has contacted you again as I haven't seen any new info.
for her to react to.  I think the fecal test wont hurt Sparkles, so if it's
the price of his continued help go ahead, and he is following up this
bacteria thing, just make sure you get the results and the results
explained. If he finds the bacteria still there be sure to find out exactly
what bacteria it is, where its coming from,  ask if Baytril is the right
antibiotics and of he isn't sure, have him do a culture and sensitivity
test. If he gives you a different antibiotic don’t give it until we can
check to make sure its ok for piggies. Sorry to say that but we don’t have
all that much faith in him but he's what we have to deal with. Have each of
Ann's treatments on a separate printout and take along her qualifications,
explain she is consulting unofficially for you, but she sees all her vet
bosses cavy cases, does all the piggy education and client follow-up, and
that she attends all piggy surgeries and handles the anesthesia, but she is
a student of rodentology but not a DVM (vet). I repeated my self here, I
wanted to make it easy for you to remember.
If anyone can add to this or correct it please let us know. Post about your
visit the minute you get home love Sandy and Sammy