[Gpdd] [Health] Anti-Parasite and Anti-Fungal Shampoo Questions

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Feb 28 01:58:29 EST 2011

No Bina, the horse paste is not acceptable. The issue is that the amount, therefore the dosage, isn’t exact, they don’t have to be exact for a 1200 lb. horse plus there are worries about how well the medicine is mixed in with with the carrier since a horse is going to be fed the whole thing at once it doesn’t matter to them if the medicine is mixed thoroughly, but its life and death for a piggy. An overdose can cause extreme coldness, and ataxia (loss of motor control) so exactness is top need. If you ever see this in pig after a dose , put him immediately on your chest by your skin and add layers of clothes or blankets. You may want to add a pad under his butt. You will have to feed and water him every couple hours till he comes out of it which can be days. He can go blind during this time but his site will come back if he recovers.

Look around, better, call around to horse feed stores and ask for the injectable liquid kept under refrigeration, then just check if its too expensive, if so post on GPDD and get some one to share a bottle or maybe 2 people, it lasts a long time, and you will be giving doses year round after the initial 2 so you will use it.  Same for panacur. Its prescription only in some cases. If you have a good vet that knows you know how to administer it, he may give you a prescription, or you can share with people who live in a legal state.  Always have a good piggy vet lined up. read adds, make calls. look for vets that specialize in “exotics” or bill themselves as rodentologists. Check your states veterinary Universities, they see patients, but make sure they teach piggies.

Ann has confirmed my previous post that the Adams, not the Adams Plus is the correct shampoo, they also have one with 0.15% pyrethrins on Drs. Foster and Smith, online, they carry all kinds of pet stuff, cages and even Oxbow, I think theirs is a house brand, not Adams. Look for the right percentage of pyrethrins and a label that DOES NOT say extended protection, works over time, gets eggs that hatch later. Avoid all shampoos with those claims. Piggies need to have baths on a regular basis, not all have to be with Adams and Betadyne, only when they are symptomatic or when they are going though the protocol, you can use baby shampoo, hopefully a natural one by somebody like Burt’ s Bees, or a medicinal one.  I use Chas Dean Tea Tree Oil Conditioner Cleaner.

Then be sure and tell us if you cant find Panacur and we will help. In the end I want to develop a list where each of the things that are on Ann’s list are identified and priced so we can get all our piggies on the protocol. Since Sammy is on it, no more flying hair and he seems happier. So on your list is Panacur, ivermectin, needless syringes measuring milliliters (ml’s), Betadyne, Adams, Critter Be better or Oxbows Critical Care, and simethicone or baby gas drops for gassy pigs.
I will be happy to further interpret any questions about how to use.
When we are up to date with these and exactly how to use them, maybe we can start a new thread with other stuff that’s needed in our piggy first-aid kits. We did one a couple years back but maybe time to update.  happy shopping = happy pigs, best regards, Sandy and Sammy