[Gpdd] Health: Olivia's UTI - Good News/Bad News

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Tue Jan 11 13:28:43 EST 2011

Hi again,

When I talked to the vet last night about the results of Olivia's urine test, I got some surprising news --- the bacterial infection is much improved; the vet said there was still some bacteria in her urine but very few compared to the first test.  She was also much happier with the concentration: with the first test, Olivia's urine was very dilute, which the vet was afraid might indicate some kidney dysfunction, but this sample was well within the normal range.

She didn't have any explanation for the fact that Olivia's poor little bum is soaking wet (strangely enough, it was perfectly dry back at the beginning when the infection was much worse); she just suggested I keep on with the antibiotic for another week and try to keep Olivia as dry and comfortable as possible.

I have trimmed back the hair on her rear end as much as possible and am continuing to wash her bum once a day and blot her as dry as I can with cloth and paper towels.  (I've been blotting her with paper towel when I give her the second dose of antibiotic also.)  Would the barrier cream still work if that area is not shaved?  At this point, I think her little head would explode if I tried to shave her or take her in to the vet to be shaved.  Don't piggies try to groom the cream off?

Thanks so much for all of the responses so far --- I think a lot of people and piggies could benefit if we can put our heads together and collect some useful information about UTIs in general!

Pat S.