[Gpdd] [HEALTH] UTIs

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Jan 11 17:06:01 EST 2011

Dear Pat and the GPDD Family,

Cystitis also known as urinary tract infections (UTI) is very common in
cavies and the causes are many and varied. The key to preventing future
infections is to treat the existing infection correctly.
The normal treatment for cavies of either sex with cystitis is to treat
with Pediatric Septrin 0.5 ml twice daily for 10 to 14 days. Most
Importantly treatment must also include the anti inflammatory Rimadyl.
For the first 3 days give 10 mg twice a day then reduce the dose to 5 mg
twice a day. It is essential to continue the anti inflammatory treatment
for at least 7 to 10 days after the last dose of antibiotic. While the
cavy is on treatment give frequent drinks of the over the counter human
cystitis treatment Cymalon mixed according to the human instructions
using water that is low in calcium. Penny Charlesworth mentions using
Cymalon and I have used it in the past with cavies that are prone to UTIs.
As far as treating Olivias wet bottom, after you wash and dry her I
would apply Bepathan to prevent urine scald. She is probably eating less
because she is in pain because her bladder wall is inflamed. That is why
the Rimadyl is so important.  Any time a cavy is ill I give extra
vitamin C, 50 mg twice a day. All of my cavies get 50 mg vitamin c
chewable tablets per day. The vitamin c also helps to acidify the urine,
which helps prevent UTIs and bladder stones.

For the USA audience Pediatric Septrin is Pediatric Bactrim use as
above. Rimadyl is called the same in both the UK and the USA. Cymalon is
a British product that comes in sachets and is primarily sodium citrate.
It also comes as a cranberry flavoured liquid made with potassium
citrate. It is for the relief from the burning pain of Cystitis. Ask the
pharmacist to recommend an over the counter product similar to Cymalon
that contains sodium or potassium citrate. Bepathan is diaper rash cream
similar to Destin. Water that has been treated by reverse osmosis is low
in calcium. I buy 1 gallon jugs at the grocery store for 68 cents. This
is the only water I give to my cavies. I buy 100 mg chewable vitamin c
tablets from Puritans Pride product number 3005 http://www.puritan.com/
.I just break the tablets in half. They also have a liquid vitamin C
product number 002740. If using the liquid syringe 0.3 ml into your
cavies mouth.

Where did I learn how to treat UTIs and bladder stones?? The British
Association of Rodentologists (BAR) Care Sheet number 11 titled Bladder
Problems. You can order it from BAR regardless if you are a member
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/
They accept credit cards and PayPal. The PayPal address is
stanislinski at aol.com.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.