[Gpdd] Health: Olivia's UTI - Good News/Bad News

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 20:01:04 EST 2011

?
Hibiclens is great because it has a lasting effect both against germs, and
fungus etc. On her genitals it should be washed off. I used scissors allot
to keep my piggy bottoms clean, and routinely clean with olive oil. I try
not to use anything that tastes bad for fear it will make their cecals taste
bad

Like people, piggies can have various different anatomies that can cause
them to me more or less susceptible to UTI from bacteria going up the
urethra to the bladder. in the case of recurrent ones, extra effort should
be put into cage cleanliness. Also I recommend a syringe of UNsweetened
cranberry juice daily, now it is believed that something in cranberry juice
keeps bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall and then growing into an
infection. Its expensive so but a jar and freeze it into small ice cubes and
use one daily. Also maybe she can be trained to eat a cranberry everyday.
Good Luck  Sandy and Sammy

I like the good news Pat. Let's hope that after the antibiotics are finished
Olivia has a dry bum at last.

Penny said, Years ago I used either Hibiclens or Hibiscrub on Topaz. The vet
suggested
that this would be good as he used it for obstetric work. It certainly kept
Topaz nice and clean. She was a Peruvian but I didn't shave her hair, just
cut the "tail" end short.  I gave her rear end a bathe in warm water every
day, dried her with a hairdryer ( she was a very placid pig ) and applied
the Hibi what ever it was. She only ever had one bout of cystitis which
cleared up with antibiotics.

With Gingerbread ( a part Texel ) I used to bathe her tail end daily, dry
her with the hairdryer again ( another very placid pig ) and applied
Vaseline to her nether regions. Some people might say that Vaseline is a no
no for piggies but my Rodentologists gave it the all clear. Gingerbread
never seemed to groom it off - she was much more interested in eating. A
baby cream would be safe to use - anything to keep the urine away from the
skin and prevent a painful scald.

Both of these girls would have kept still to be shaved but I am not sure
that I could have used the machine safely. I am better with scissors.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.