[Gpdd] HEALTH: Olivia Seems to be Improving

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 12 11:34:03 EST 2011

Hello again,

Thanks for all the input on the question of Olivia's UTI and the high incidence of UTIs among my little herd.

Yesterday evening, to my great relief, Olivia was completely dry and she is definitely eating better as well.  When I gave her the meds this morning, she was a bit damp again but not nearly as bad as she had been and she was munching away on her veggies, pellets and hay, so I'm hopeful that she may have turned a corner and will continue to improve.  We'll see what tonight's "bum inspection" shows!

I would really like to continue the conversation about UTIs in general though.  A number of the piggie information resources I've used (like GuineaLynx) simply state that UTIs are very common in guinea pigs, but some GPDD people (like Penny) who have had experience with many many piggies are not finding UTIs common in their "herds".  What are they doing differently?   I know I (and many others who have suffered along with our piggies when they have these nasty infections) would really like to know!

                                                                                                    Pat S.