[Gpdd] [Health]Collecting Urine and H202

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Wed Jan 12 22:13:54 EST 2011

A couple of notes on Debra's urine collecting e-mail.

When cleaning the table with alcohol, make sure it's not a wood surface.
Alcohol will ruin the finish as will guinea pig urine.

I'm not so sure about using H202 (hydrogen peroxide) on a guinea pigs
sensitive areas or feet. If there are any cuts it can be painful and
damage tissue. I'm sure wishing their feet with something like hibitaine
that is mild on skin would be just as good.

When I used to take Phoebe in for her bladder, we learned that if she
was left to wait too long in her box she'd invariably pee there and not
have a sample for the vet. So she would go directly to the back to a
cage with a plexiglass bottom to wait for her appointment. More often
than not she would provide them with a sample before she saw the vet.

She was also more coopertive about providing a sample on the vet, when
it wasn't needed.

Evelyn