[Gpdd] HEALTH: Another UTI !!! Why???

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 06:46:51 EST 2011

I was wondering if there might be a link between sows with hi rates of UTI
who also have access to boars.

I know more about boars than sows so I know all their private are is
constantly encrusted, I mean talk about junk in their trunk!!!!
We have had many lengthy discussions about the very important need to clean
boars "slot" and extrude their penis to make sure it doesn't get glued shut,
tragedy can ensue when we don’t, the need increase with age.  I clean before
baths or between baths with olive or any salad oil to clean and lubricate,
but honestly there must be a load of bacteria and all sorts of flora and
fauna living in that area.

It is well known that UTI's can be caused by sexual activity in Humans
females because all the orifices are so close together so why not piggies?
If we were to do a survey this could be one item on our list. Also maybe to
keep track of incidence in sows who are supplemented with unsweetened
cranberry juice, the amount of hair (maybe just listing the breed?

that’s another thing I do, male or male American or Peruvian mine get the
buts trimmed with scissors up to and including the hair around the grease
gland, and all trim able hair up past all the private part. Long haired
breeds have their sweeps trimmed to skim floor level and still up to the
include the grease gland, then the upper part of the sweeps lays over and
hides all this missing hair to just above the level of the floor, that way
everything stays clean and tidy.

I have had plenty of sows and am not aware of any UTI's, or stones but there
were sudden deaths and long declines in sows due to hormonal or tumors in
the reproductive systems many years ago before I ever found out it was
treatable.
Sandy and Sammy