[Gpdd] [OFF Topic] Message from Julie, passed on by Sandy and Sammy

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 01:30:17 EST 2011

We are fine here.   We are atop a mountain, so I guess our danger lies in saturated grounds and the fear of big trees becoming so waterlogged that they collapse.  We have a lot of trees around the house.

We stocked up big time with piggy grain, and bird food, and dog food and human food the other day.  Supplies at the shops at dwindling, so we did the right thing.

Mould is atrocious - but there's nothing we can do whilst this weather persists.

Weather predictions are another lot of torrential rain next week, and up until then partly sunny, partly showery weather.   I've good stocks of medication - it's only when we lose power (about 4-6 hours at a time), that could be difficult if I can't get to have my nebuliser for the asthma.      I just am learning to take it easy, rest, take whatever medications don't require electricity.

When we lose power there's absolutely no power - literally we have no toilet, no drinking water, no shower water, no computer (because my stupid computer gives me about 1 hour without battery then shuts down, thank goodness I went wireless last year). no nothing!!!!!!!!  Then, trying to get piggy beds dry and habital for my boys is no easy task, but so far I've survived.

We had a bit of sun today, so I managed to dry their recycled kitty pellets the natural way!!

The dam is about 2 hours drive from where we are, but being high in the mountains we are safe from the deluge that comes from when the workers have to release water through the flood gates.  Our dam is now at 184% capacity!

My brother has lost his business, it went under.  He can only get through with his boat.  Luckily my brother changed his insurer last year, and it's the only company which has flood insurance!!!!   He'll rebuild his business - he doesn't intend to give up.

Did you know that 75% of Queensland is flood bound?    It's the saddest situation.   I can't watch the TV coverage of it any more - I tend to take on mother people's problems - I'm far too emotional for my own good.   I've been very sick today, whether that's just normal sickness for me, or brought on my subconscious worry and heartache for my fellow man.

I must rejoin the GPDD so I can give updates..........Oh, by the way, I've heard from our friend Carole in the UK.   She hasn't been on the computer much lately, but she's still around and safe from the snow in the UK!

This is the most horrific event I'm sure I'll live through - but it's wonderful how total strangers are lending a hand with their time with equipment, forming human chains in order to get items of value out of other strangers homes, checking that neighbors are okay, etc.

We'll survive - that's the Queensland fighting spirit.   But, it's going to take a very long time to recover - years I would say.

Lots of Love
Julie xx