[Gpdd] [HEALTH] My SPICY Bumblefoot and the "Little old lady syndrome"

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Jan 23 15:16:22 EST 2011

Dear Joanne and Penny and the GPDD family,

Both Bumblefoot and "the little old lady syndrome" also known as wasting
syndrome where piggys eat well but develop bumblefoot or continue to
loose weight are classic symptoms of a systemic fungal infection. The
British Association of Rodentologists (BAR) sells a Care sheet Number 6
titled Fungal Problems.
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/
I would recommend that Spicy and Rye be treated with Itrafungol (generic
name), Sporinox (USA).The dose would be 0.4 ml twice a day for the first
5 days then 0.2 ml twice a day for AT LEAST 2 to 3 weeks. Your vet can
write a prescription for Sporinox which you can pick up at a pharmacy.
This is both a veterinary and human drug. A good indication of recovery
is an ongoing weight gain and in Spicy's situation a reduction in the
bumblefoot. Do not stop Sporinox abruptly it is better to reduce the
dose to 0.1 ml twice a day for a week then once a day for another week
once she shows improvement.

  Spicy may also be suffering from gastric bloat. Have your vet check to
see if her abdomen is filled with gas or fluid. You can just shake her
up and down and listen for fluid yourself. If you do not hear sloshing
then her abdomen may be extended due to gas. If it is gas you can give
her 3.0 ml Of Infants Gas Relief Drops which are simethicone The dose
can be repeated every 2 to 3 hours. At the same time put her on her back
with her buttocks elevated and rub her tummy and grasp her hind legs and
push them towards her tummy then extend them straight out. Keep
repeating this for a half an hour in an attempt to get her to expel
wind. If it is fluid in the abdomen she will need to be given diuretics
by the vets. The first dose being 10 mg of lasix.

I am not a vet. This information should be discussed with a cavy savvy
vet or rodentologist.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.