[Gpdd] [HEALTH] griseofulvin and the little old lady or man syndrome

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Jan 24 15:08:05 EST 2011

Dear Penny and the GPDD Family,
Griseofulvin is an excellent antifungal drug. In fact it is one of the
first antifungal drugs on the market and still is used when Itrafungal
is not effective. I wish the best for your boy Rye. There is no magic
remedy for every illness. Especially as our piggys get older their
livers and kidneys and gastro intestinal tracts do not work as
efficiently as they did when they were young. Systemic fungal infections
can be active for a long time before symptoms such as bummblefoot or
loosing weight become evident. Also a cage mate who has groomed a cavy
with a skin fungal infection can get a gastro intestinal infection from
ingesting the spores yet show no sign of illness. It is always possible
by the time clinical signs are present widespread internal damage has
already taken place. We can just try to do the best we can for our
piggys and pray that they recover. Rye is very lucky to have you and his
own private rodentologist.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.