[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Mimi has mites and worming Protocol

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Jan 30 15:09:20 EST 2011

Dear GPDD Family,
Below is the protocol that I use for worming piggys. Warmbreath referred
to my protocol and Penny gave very important information on how mange
mite eggs can live under the skin for years. Mini's vet is correct in
treating the mites with ivermectin and that at least 2 doses are needed
7 to 10 days apart. The ivermectin can be given orally or by injection.
I do not know how old Mini is but for cavies that are 3 months old I
would use 0.1 ml ivermectin, 6 months or older would receive 0.2 ml of
Ivermectin. These doses have been used at the Cambridge Cavy trust
Hospital for over 25 years. This is a case of treating an active
infection. The protocol is for preventing an infection from ever
happening. The protocol stresses the importance that both internal and
external parasites must be addressed. That is why Penny's piggys get
ivermectin and panacur every 3 months. To do the full job in my opinion
Mini should also be treated with panacur. Remember if you do not worm
your cavies every 3 months you are just setting them up to suffer the
way Mini is suffering right now. Prevention is the key to good health.

Why you should treat your cavy for internal and external parasites?
This is also called worming but also involves bathing your cavy to kill
fur lice.
This protocol is based on the work of Vedra Stanley-Spatcher of the
Cambridge Cavy Trust and Guinea Pig Hospital. She is also the founder of
the British Association of Rodentologists.
http://www.britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/
The protocol is not an exact copy of Vedra’s but has been slightly
modified from my experience in worming cavies in the USA since the early
1980’s.
The purpose of this document is to educate and hopefully cavy owners
will seek out vets that will worm their cavies. The drugs that are used
for worming cavies are the same drugs that are used to worm cats and
dogs, thus every veterinarian should have these drugs.

All cavies should be wormed or treated for internal and external
parasites. They pick up parasites from the pelleted food, hay and fruits
and vegetables that they are fed. They can also get parasites, protozoa,
and foreign bacteria from water, other cavies, rabbits, dogs, cats,
mice, rats and insects.

A cavy’s digestive system is very similar to a sheep’s digestive system.
When you feed your cavy hay, which all cavies should get free choice
everyday, it is no different than you allowing them to graze in a field
of hay. The hay that you buy was grown in a field that contains insects
in the soil and on the plants and all types of wild animals running
through the field. Also, there are birds that fly over and nest in the
fields. All of the animals and insects defecate and urinate on the hay.
The hay is cut, left to dry and baled. It is not disinfected or
irradiated to kill bacteria, parasites and parasite eggs. The same holds
true for all of the ingredients that go into the pelleted food your cavy
eats. The hay and grains are held in silos that are infested with
insects, rats and mice. Even the bread you buy at the grocery store is
allowed by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to have so many insect
parts and insect eggs per loaf of bread. It is always good to feed your
cavies a cup of fresh fruit and vegetables each day. There is no way to
remove all the parasites, parasite eggs and bad bacteria from the fresh
food that you feed your cavy. Therefore, all cavies need to be wormed.
Worming is both preventative medicine and is used to kill the parasites
that your cavy already has. Worming can stop life-threatening diarrhea
caused by parasitic and bacterial infection of the cecum. What worming
also does is kill mange mites, rabbit ear mites, dog ticks, cat lice,
liver flukes and an entire list of internal and external parasites from
tapeworms, nematodes, Cyrtosporidium and Giardia to name just a few of
the parasites that infect cavies. In addition, fur lice die within the
body tissues and their decomposing bodies have been shown to cause
abscesses of the lymph nodes.

Parasites can invade the wall of the stomach, small and large intestines
and cecum and invade the liver, pancreas, lungs, nervous system and
heart. The walls of the intestines and cecum are one cell thick.
Therefore, these parasites may not show up in a fecal test. Giardia, a
protozoa has a suction cup that keeps it attached to the gut wall, thus
giardia often do not show up in fecal tests.  A sheep farmer does not
first do a fecal test on the entire herd of sheep. The sheep are wormed
on a schedule. This is true of million dollar racehorses. Once again
worming is both preventative medicine and kills existing parasites.
Parasites release toxins that can damage every organ and carry bacteria
that interfere in the cecum's ability to process and absorb nutrients. I
have treated many cavies that were constantly loosing weight or had soft
stools yet they did not have any teeth problems, infections or signs of
parasites. I start worming all cavies at 3 months of age. I give orally
0.4 ml 2.5% Panacur = fenbendazole or 0.4 ml 2.5% Valbazen =
albendazole. The dose is based on metabolic rate not on body weight and
is 10 mg of either of these drugs for 5 days. I also give orally 0.1 ml
of 1.0% Ivermectin sterile solution for injection. Very Important !!!
0.1 ml equals 2 drops of 1.0% Ivermectin.  I give the Ivermectin orally
on day 1 and 7. This will cover the mange mites and internal parasite
spectrum. Then starting at 6 months of age and then every 3 months for
the rest of their lives they get orally 0.2 ml of 1.0% Ivermectin and
orally 0.4 ml 2.5% Panacur or 0.4 ml 2.5% Valbazen, one dose of each.

Since all my cavies are rescued and sometimes the females are pregnant,
I start worming all cavies at 3 months of age and pregnant cavies. Also,
while they are in quarantine they get bathed with an anti-parasitic
shampoo that contains 0.15% pyrethrins. They get 3 baths 7 days apart.
The purpose of the baths is to kill lice, mites and ticks and fleas. I
work the lather up into their ears to kill mites and lice in the ear
canals. I use Adams shampoo for puppies and kittens that contains 0.15%
pyrethrins or the Adams D-Limonene Flea & Tick Shampoo. I just use a
nickel size amount in the palm of my hand and rub my hands together
until I get a good lather and then apply it to the wet cavy. Make sure
to work the lather into the ear canals. Leave the shampoo on for 10
minutes. Wrap your cavy in a towel to keep it warm, and then rinse. You
can use an ear cleaner/dryer solution after bathing but it is not
essential. I then towel and blow-dry on low heat. I bathe my cavies
every other month with an antiparasitic shampoo or antifungal shampoo
such as Betadine or Poviderm.

Ivermectin can be bought from feed stores or the Internet. I always use
a sterile needle and syringe to remove the Ivermectin from the bottle. I
then expel the Ivermectin into a small cap. I aspirate 0.1 – 0.2 ml
using a 1.0 ml slip tip syringe. This way I never contaminate the
Ivermectin in the original bottle. I order 2.5% Panacur from PCP direct
in the UK.
http://www.pcpdirect.co.uk/Search.asp
They have very reasonable prices and shipping and you will get it in a
week. They take major credit cards. However, you may have to notify your
bank that you are going to buy from the UK online so that they approve
the charge. My bank charges me a 3% surcharge for a foreign transaction.
Panacur is a suspension, so must be shaken before dispensing into
another cap. I use a separate 1.0 ml syringe to administer 0.4 ml
Panacur. I refrigerate both medications but administer them at room
temperature.
I hope you find this helpful.
In the United Kingdom vets are required to worm cavies if the owner
requests that it be done. It the vet refuses to worm the cavy or doesn’t
refer the owner to a vet that will worm the cavy the vet can be charged
with animal cruelty. The withholding of preventative treatment until the
animal is actually suffering is no longer an acceptable practice.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.