[Gpdd] [Health] Twinkie is bleeding

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jul 3 00:56:33 EDT 2011

Hi. It seems like these kind of things always happen on a holiday weekend!  Twinkie, our two year old sow had blood around her bottom when I picked her up this evening.  I collected a urine sample, and everything looks clear with no sign of blood. A few minutes after collecting the sample I saw a drop of blood on her nose and first felt relieved that it was just a bite from her roommate, but then when I cleaned her nose, I saw no sign of a bite, then she had more blood around her bottom.

While I was trying to collect the urine sample (I have a set up with a colander over a dishpan), she was very stressed out and breathing heavily. She even refused to eat a cucumber that I offered her.  Once she provided her sample, she calmed down, and when I put her back with her roommate, she immediately grabbed the cucumber and ran into her pigloo.

Other than leaving a red trail around the pen, she seems fine now. I'm flipping through the pages of Quesenberry and Carpenter's Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents to see if I can figure out what's going on. Meanwhile, if anyone else has any ideas about what might be going on, I'd sure appreciate your help. Thanks!

ME in New Smyrna Beach