[Gpdd] HEALTH: reading the syringe for worming

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Jul 4 04:56:31 EDT 2011

Joanie,

I don't know what kind of syringe you have but it should be one that holds 1
whole ml. when full. I was trying to find a picture of one to show you but
the one on GL is not quite the same as the ones that I use. However, it is
of the right size. Look halfway down the page on hand feeding.

http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

This picture shows both the original syringe and one cut for hand feeding.
The printing says 1cc. Mine say 1ml. It is the same amount. Maybe what we
would call 1ml in England is called a cc in the US. Other members please
advise!

Mine show 0.1 at the pointy end, then 0.2 then 0.3 etc as you go down the
tube. The GL one shows what seems to be 1, 2, 3, etc. If yours is like this
one, what you need is to draw up the Panacur to the number 4.

I do not know why your syringe has numbers on the other side. I have not
seen one like that but it sounds as though you are giving the correct amount
to Puff.

For comparison, a whole syringeful would contain 1 ml ( 1 cc ). Now 5 of
these would just about fill a teaspoon, which holds around 5ml. Try it out.
Fill your syringe with water, empty it into a teaspoon and do this four more
times. The spoon should be about full.

When a liquid is in a syringe it does appear to be more than the actual
dose, due to the thickness of the wall of the syringe. You could try drawing
up 0.4ml of water and squirt it into something ( not Puff! ). You will see
that it is not perhaps as much as it seemed.

What what you say, you do not seem to have overdosed Puff. If in doubt,
leave it alone until you are sure.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.