[Gpdd] HEALTH: Worming protocol, proper syringes

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Jul 4 12:19:06 EDT 2011

Joanie, did you get answers on reading the syringe?  If not I will answer:
I use 2 sizes,  a regular medical type, it is the smaller of the 2 and holds
a total of 1.0 ml marked off in tenths, so 0.1 ml each tick mark.   This
small thinner one is what I use for worming drugs.  This is where you
measure your 0.1 or 0.2 ml which ever is prescribed of the 2.5 % solution of
ivermectin.   Then of course the ivermectin and Panacur are given
needle-less by mouth, although Guinea Lynx shows a way to use a topical
product, it's in the link I sent you previosly

The other is larger, same diameter but thicker, and is marked in teaspoons
and and ml's on opposite sides.   It is marked off in 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 tsp.;
the other side is marked off by each ml and holds 3 ml total. So its 3 times
bigger than the skinnier one.  Then each ml is divided by half and marked
with a 1/2, then there are tick marks that break each ml by tenths, these
are unlabeled, just the tick mark, but I count 10 divisions. I added this
one in case this is what you have, you can tell the difference

The skinnier one is the standard drug size; the larger I use for children's
liquid meds, anti diarrheals, and for feeding, both are labeled as being by
Monojet (the brand)
I have a third larger one that is strictly for feeding and was never meant
to hold a needle.  Of course the needles are snapped off the 2 smaller ones.
I keep one sterile one with a needle in case I would have to give emergency
sterile sub Q fluids.

On the 3 ml fatter one the ml designation is marked in small letters, ml,
near the  top horizontally just under a the brand name  Monojet, which it is
at is at the very top, these are all the makings.

For your anti parasitic drugs ask the pharmacist for a 1.0 milliliter
syringe, or more) if you don’t want to remove the needle yourself,  ask them
to do it. In fact in some states syringes are by prescription only with
needles, other states give them away by the hundreds for addicts. If either
the markings or the rubber on the plunger get worn replace the unit.   I
hope this helps, I'm sending a copy to Ann to verify for accuracy and
completeness. remember that I am not a a vet, vet assistant or pharmasist.
Sand Sammy, environmental pirate not Vet. but friend