[Gpdd] Health: Good Wishes for Twinkie

Monica Morris mmorris at buinea.com
Tue Jul 5 09:49:08 EDT 2011

We are sending healing wishes to Twinkie.  Our Mellon required an
an emergency spay, very suddenly, about 7 years ago.

For recovery, she stayed in her own cage on white towels (to check for
blood). Because she did not move around for a few days, I would bring
the water bottle to her, holding the spigot to her mouth and being
mindful of her teeth.  She would often take a few sips so I continued
this.  I also hand fed her pellets and food.  Just offering it in case
she wanted it, which she often did.

Mellon was given her full course of the medication.

Although awkward due to the extreme gentleness required, I would do a
daily visual of her recovery site, looking for any sign of infection,
swellings or perhaps bleeding.  Be sure to see that she isn't lying in a
'wet' spot for too long and move her gently, if necessary.

We brought her mate to look through the bars at her so he would know she
was still around, etc.  It seemed to calm him.

After about a week of recovery, Mellon looked looked up and recognized
her friend looking in at her, assumed an alert expression and made
physical movements toward him.  We put her back in the big cage (they
were elderly, gentle pigs - the male with cataracts) and all was fine.

Good luck Twinkie!  Be strong!

Monica
(in memory of our dear friends Mellon and Kippie)
Jelly & Tib
(with Binny, Buffy, Widget, Blaze, Beau, Carmen, Carlo and Argyle in our
hearts)