[Gpdd] HEALTH: Does worming make outdoor grazing safe?

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 17:59:53 EDT 2011

We live on acreage blanketed with plantain, dandelion, clover, and several kinds of grass. I used to wash them up and feed them to my first piggie, Vrie, who lived to be seven years old. I did the same for Hershey, but she contracted E cuniculi and died because I was afraid to worm her and couldn't convince several vets of the need to.

Now I have an almost-wormed piggie (still haven't located a needle to draw the ivermectin from the rubber-lidded container. In CA, due to the methamphetamine "epidemic," it's very hard to get needles. You wouldn't believe the hoops a feed store has to jump through to be licensed to sell such a small, inexpensive item. And if they foul up on the procedure of documenting the sale, it's a felony! See why no one wants to sell them?) Thanks to all of you, I finished the panacur administration though, without poisoning Puff as I'd feared!

Now my question is, in a yard populated with wild racoons, skunks, squirrels, rats, and rabbits, not to mention birds, deer, and a variety of predators, is feeding food from that yard, carefully washed in soap and water, a possibility? Vrie and Hershey sure enjoyed it. I'd hate to deprive Puff unless it's necessary.

Suggestions?

Joanie